Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Book of Eli

Misch and I just got home from seeing that movie and it was a really great one... Denzel Washington was great in the movie and I, maybe not so much Mischa, was really shocked in the end by the twist. I enjoyed it.

I am in no way shape or form a religious person. I went to church when I was like 4 and haven't been back since, except for maybe a Christmas mass with my Uncle Bud or for a wedding, but that's it. I can probably count the number of times that I've actually prayed to something or someone asking for help on one hand. Times that I still can't think about without tearing up. I'm not sure what I believe in or who I believe in. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-religion or anti-church or a non believer in "god". I put that in quotes because I'm not really sure that there is really just one.

So why the religion talk? Well, I'm sure many of you know that the movie is about a man who has in his possession the last copy of the Bible in a post-apocalyptic world. The story about what he has gone through to protect this book and to deliver it across the country to a place that he has never been, just solely based on his faith is an interesting one. The way that this man had so much faith and love for this one book sort of astounds me.

I've never read the bible. My knowledge of the bible is minimal at best. I've read the first story and that's about it. I know that reading the bible might not make me a better person, it might not change my mind about how I feel, but I feel like it'll make me a more well rounded person. Heck, might even make me a better writer. However, I don't have a desire to get up every sunday and go to church. I never have. I feel like I'd like to figure out this religion and faith thing on my own. Figure out who or what I'd like to believe in... Someday maybe I'll need some help, but for now I think I'll start by reading the bible and take what I can from it.

Today, I'm gonna close with the last lines from the movie, it may be a bit of a spoiler, so you're welcome to read it or not:
"Dear Lord, Thank you for giving me the strength and the conviction to complete the task you entrusted to me. Thank you for guiding me straight and true through the many obstacles in my path. And for keeping me resolute when all around seemed lost. Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad. Thank you for the friend I made. Please watch over her as you watched over me. Thank you for finally allowing me to rest. I'm so very tired, but I go now to my rest at peace..."

No comments:

Post a Comment