Saturday, February 6, 2010

Been wanting to do this...

I've been thinking about starting my own blog ever since we moved to Wilmington. I should have when we first moved down because everyone knows that I've had more than enough time to do so. The job market here in Wilmington sucks something fierce and it figures that we moved down just in time to wave goodbye to all the tourists. No one was hiring. Could barely even get an interview. Can I talk about interviews for a second, cuz I've had a few since we moved down here and there are somethings that I feel I must share with someone other than Mischa.
(Let me walk the dogs first. Buster won't stop staring at me and it's messing with my flow..)
Alright back.
Let's see, interviews, ah yes...
First of all, if you're looking for a job, craig's list suucks. Everything on there is either spam or a scan where they're trying to get your information. It's the most frustrating thing in the whole world especially when you're getting desperate and even a parking attendant job sounds awesome. Craig's List and all of it's scum has made me cry. Yes, there were nights where my boyfriend, Mischa, would come home and I would be upset. It's the worst feeling to get your hopes up over and over again just to have them crushed with a false website asking you for references and your phone number. Don't use Craig's List for job hunting.. It's good for other things. But because there's no one really sitting there verifying who's posting job offers, it's overrun by people that have nothing better to do with their time than mess with the 14 million frustrated, broke, bored, depressed, unemployed Americans. Thanks people!! Real winners those ones.

Alright so there's my Criag's List bash, can we talk about applications? Does anybody else think that there should just be ONE universal application where I can go online, fill it out and print like a million copies? I can't even tell you how many of same application I filled out for different companies. It was obnoxious. There was one application for a SERVING position that wanted to know 3 people that were my co-workers, 3 bosses, 3 people that worked under me, driver's license, recreational drug use, how many accidents I'd been in, hair sample, toe nail clipping and a letter of recommendation from my 3rd grade teacher. Ok, ok, so the last 3 weren't true, but some of these places want so much ridiculous information that I feel naked after I fill out the app. Be easy people, I'd understand if you'd need all that stuff if I was going to run the company, be president of the US, or someone more important than a part time cashier at a bookstore or a server at a pizza place. Jeeeeeezzz...

OK, so interviews? Let's say you finally get a call back weeeeeks after you filled out the application, took the online test that tells the employer if you're crazy or not, and your application actually managed to find it's way to the right person's desk. What then? Well, first they try to slyly quiz you over the phone about your life story and then if they like the way your voice sounds they ask you to come in for an interview. Cool. So that day, you spend at least an hour getting ready and dressed. Looking good, you know? So you get there, wait around looking stupid all dressed up at a hardware store or a bookstore, and finally after making you wait like like 10 mins, your interviewer is ready for you. This is the point where they ask you those god awful questions that make you feel like if you don't say the right thing they will shoot you in the face. You're nervous and you just want to be able to cash people out. Is that sooo much to ask of this world? The interview takes 10 mins. So glad I took all that time getting dressed and doing my hair for 10 mins! And then with the promise of a 2nd interview (yes a 2nd interview for a part time job) they shake your hand, pat you on the head and kick you out. Oh and guess what, you'll wait weeks hoping to hear back from them, but guess what people, you won't! This has happened twice to me. From big companies. And one of them I even went in a week later and asked what was going on. Of course they blamed it on someone else. But whatever, if this is how you treat people for a seasonal or part time job, then forget it. I'd rather keep being broke and looking for something better. Somewhere where they treat people like people...

So I guess I should tell you that this long rant does have a happy ending. Thankfully, I didn't hear back from either of those places and managed to find a DREAMMM job. I do have to get licensed for it, but if I pass the state exam, this company will hire me. I get to wear jeans and tee-shirt to work, they offer health insurance, weekends off and maybe the best part of it all, the hours are 11-8. Who could ask for more? Oh, Oh, did I mention PAID vacation time? Whooo.

Anyway, I guess that this is enough for my first post. Sorry to be so ranty. Next time it'll be better. Now I just have to keep this up.

Catch ya on the flipside.

No comments:

Post a Comment